Thursday 13 December 2007

Having to grow up

After two years of college, I still have no idea what I want to truly do. I think I want to wander about life like Herman Hesse's Siddharta, embrace my humanity, and eventually achieve enlightenment in the most unexpected of ways. Maybe I want to live like Jack Kerouac - write interesting things that were never appreciated and die young of liver cirrhosis. 2007 is the 50th anniversary of the publishing of On the Road. Kerouac originally typed the book as one long paragraph on rolls of paper that were taped together to form a long scroll. Maybe that means something.

"What is our personal calling? ...Whenever we do something that fills us with enthusiasm, we are following our legend. However, we don't all have the courage to confront our dream.
Why?
...We are told from childhood onward that everything we want to do is impossible. We grow with this idea, and as the years accumulate, so too do the layers of prejudice, fear, and guilt. There comes a time when our personal calling is so deeply buried in our soul as to be invisible."

-Paulo Coelho (introduction to The Alchemist)

On a lighter and much funnier note, if you've ever been into Indian guys, check out video:
(I must admit that most of what he says is unfortunately true; a lot of us are frighteningly disgusting)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTvh8pv2jSw